[GNC] Can't reenter password for OFX DirectConnect

Brad Morrison bradmorrison at sonic.net
Tue Apr 25 07:42:52 EDT 2023

Hi Alex S/all,

Hopefully someone else will address the GnuCash aspect of your specific
issue with the OFXDirectConnect. I would like to comment on the
situation with banks allowing transactional data downloads in the OFX
file format (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Financial_Exchange).

I am still trying to find a professional bookkeeper in the USA that uses
GnuCash, but based on not seeing anyone respond on this mailing list to
Bob Treumann's March 1 ask or my March 7 reply, I'm assuming that there
are no US-based professional bookkeepers on this mailing list that use
GnuCash AND are taking on new clients.

All 3 of the local (Sonoma County, CA, USA -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonoma_County,_California) bookkeeping
firms that I have asked about using GnuCash were unfamiliar with the
software, 2 of the 3 only used Quickbooks (1 also used Xero), and only 1
expressed any interest in using GnuCash, but did not email back when I
followed up a week later. I found these bookkeeping firms through Sonoma
County Go Local's directory
(https://sonomacounty.golocal.coop/businesses/services-professional/accounting-tax-bookkeeping-and-payrol/).
It does not appear that the 2 national bookkeeping organizations
(https://aipb.org/ & https://nacpb.org/) that I found online have local
chapters, although I have not asked them directly yet.

As part of this project of mine, I have been trying to find a bank that
allows transactional data downloads in the OFX file format and using
that inquiry as an opportunity to ask about whether the bank has a
policy of sourcing/using open source software. I started with SRI
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socially_responsible_investing) banks
that I knew of because I thought that they would be the most open to &
interested in open source software and the concepts/philosophies of
transparency and sharing behind its development and use. Every bank that
I have asked so far has said that they do not allow transactional data
downloads in the OFX file format and none have said that they have a
policy regarding open source software. I have received responses from
these banks so far:

  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneficial_State_Bank
  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgamated_Bank
  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Premier_Bancorp
  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cooperative_Bank

I have sent inquires to more banks, but those are the only ones that
have responded so far. I have not asked Regions Bank
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_Financial_Corporation), but after
seeing your post, I was going to. However, it does not appear from their
website messages section (https://www.regions.com/help >
https://www.regions.com/digital-banking/digital-services/reggie-digital-assistant)
that they accept incoming electronic messages from non-customers. I have
also been surprised that Regions Bank does not seem to have a "Contact
Us" tab anywhere on their header or footer list of standard options, so
I used the "Help & support" section. Maybe they are not seeking new
customers, but that would be unusual...? As a customer, you may want to
reach out to ask Regions Bank if they still support OFX Direct Connect.

Finally, I have been able to find 2 regional credit unions that allow
transactional data downloads in the OFX file format
(https://www.redwoodcu.org/ &
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patelco_Credit_Union). I have only asked
these 2 credit unions so far and since both said yes (and RCU even
directed me to their page about financial data downloads -
https://www.redwoodcu.org/ask-rcu/2199/) and none of the banks that have
even responded to me have said yes, I wondered if some back end
technology provider that FDIC insured
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Deposit_Insurance_Corporation)
banks use, but NCUA insured
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Credit_Union_Administration)
credit unions do not use might be responsible for this lack of support
for OFX...?

After having such little luck fishing for banks that support OFX, it
just occurred to me over the weekend that it might be a good idea to ask
banking associations
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Community_Bankers_of_America
& https://www.icba.org/) and advocacy organizations that work with banks
(https://www.greenamerica.org/finance & https://mightydeposits.com/)
about interest from community banks in OFX, GnuCash, & open source
software.

When I write local organizations, I usually reference the North Bay
Linux Users Group (NBLUG - https://nblug.org/) because I am on the
board, but I leave that part out of my template when inquiring with
larger or non-local financial institutions & organizations. I'm open to
any suggestions/ideas/help if anyone else is interested in this project...

Onward and upward,

Brad