[GNC] GNUcash 5 - Trial Balance

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Apr 27 13:13:31 EDT 2023

On 4/27/2023 12:54 PM, smith54 at smith54.karoo.co.uk wrote:
> I would recommend going to tools and using Close Book to remove the previous years TB P&L figures. Then re-run the TB.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

I think this might be the place for a bit of double entry bookkeeping
theory/terminology and how the two reports "Trail Balance" and "Balance
Sheet" differ (as well as how they are the same).

Same:

     Both are run for a "point in time" (they have a date, not a date range)

     Both are checking that the sum of all the credits equals the sum of
all the debits << in other words, that the ledger is in balance >>

Different:

     The "Trail Balance" is for ALL ledger accounts, both "standing" and
"temporary". There are no virtual accounts involved.

     The "Balance Sheet" is for all the "standing accounts" PLUS a
virtual account named something like "retained gains or losses" which
will appear under equity and the value of which will  be the net of all
the "temporary accounts" (accounts of type ":income" or "expense" ---
these are actually of fundamental type equity)

Those differences and similarities for books that are "open". If the
books have been closed by a "close the books"operation the differences
between them goes away, especially if the display option is to leave out
accounts with zero balance (( all the income and expense accounts will
be zero and the "retained" amount will be zero << if virtual -- some
entities like corporations might have an explicit "retained" account if
allowed to pay dividends only out of retained earnings >>

Michael D Novack