[GNC] Transactions in Placeholder

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 11:17:36 EDT 2023

On 4/29/2023 10:08 AM, David T. wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I disagree. The importer shouldn't put transacting into an account
> that is--by definition-- write protected.
>
> My counter example would be a write-protected file folder. An
> operating system that allowed a user to put data into a
> write-protected folder would come in for serious criticism.
>
> Temporary records should go somewhere, for sure. It's been my
> experience that GnuCash uses Imbalance-xxx for such transactions. Why
> would you ever expect to put them in write-protected accounts?

You are talking about the  behavior of the IMPORTER.

Your proposed solution would affect ANY entry of transactions.

And an operating system SHOULD allow writing into a write protected
folder whenever the person (or program) doing so has sufficient "rights"
<< normally when I am logged in it is WITHOUT admin rights (even on my
home system) -- bear in mind decades in the cypher mines where I had to
be very conscious of whether I was using my ordinary login or my "prod*"
log in. Like in the middle of the night emergency fix to a hanging
production program -- doing this during the day I would walk over to the
desk of whoever normally handled "builds" and have them do the
replacement of the program in the production library>>

Michael

PS --- By all means ask for a change to the behavior of the importer if
you think that is in order. But actually what you want is that the
importer verify that it isn't specifying an account that does not exist
OR one that is a placeholder. We used to call something like the the
"input editor" portion of a transaction handling program.