[GNC] Cannot change Trading splits

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Apr 30 11:42:10 EDT 2023

> On Apr 30, 2023, at 7:51 AM, Fred Tydeman <tydeman.fred at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have an older existing transaction with splits for an ATM transaction
> of getting Euros for US dollars.
> I duplicate it with today's date.
> I Click on Split to open up the new transaction.
> I change the amounts  and tab out of each split.
> And in the process update the currency conversion rate.
> I Click on Enter on the menu line.
> The two trading splits get changed to different accounts and amounts.
> I change the two trading splits back to the correct accounts and amounts,
> using Tab to exit each split.
> Again, I click on Enter and the two Trading splits get changed.
> Am I doing something wrong?

> In case it makes a difference, I have multiple parent Trading accounts
> with CURRENCY:USD and CURRENCY:EUR children.

GnuCash's automatic handling of trading accounts supports only one set of trading accounts with one account per commodity, and the transaction balancing code will remove the trading splits and calculate new ones as part of committing the transaction.

To do it differently you'll have to maintain your trading accounts by hand. Turn off Use trading accounts in File>Properties and GnuCash will get out of your way. Note, however, that having multiple sets of trading accounts is a strong indication that you've commingled accounts that ought to be in separate books.

Regards,
John Ralls