[GNC] Ideas and recommendations for community project

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 00:38:51 EDT 2023

Sebastian,

You do not have to account for the details of other entities (e.g. your members)
in accounting for contributions from members, In the eaxample you gave of a
member buying something for the community entity and being reimbursed, the
purchase by the member on behalf of the community creates a liability for the
community and a corresponding expense inthe communities account, so the purchase
would be treated as a credit to an appropriate liability account ( could be an
accounts payable account) and a debit to the appropriate expense account (or a
debit to an asset account if it was a long term asset from which the community
would derive future benefits). When the reimbursement is paid to the member, the
liability account is debited and the bank account is credited for the amount of
the reimbursement.

The accounting itself is pretty standard, with likely a few quirks where funds
may be restricted to specific purposes, but the details are going to depend
primarily on any legislation in your jurisdiction which covers the specific type
of entity and the reporting and accounting requirements imposed under that
legislation and the taxation legislation (county/city, state, federal/national)
that may have to be complied with  and then what accounting information you need
to effectively organize the community organization.

For example our state government in Australia imposes under legislation certain
specific minimal organizational and accounting requirements for clubs,
societies, community organizations etc which must be complied with. It would be
wise to get professioanl accounting advice on what is required in your
jurisdiction.

 David Cousens