[GNC] Addition to basis

Brad Morrison bradmorrison at sonic.net
Tue Aug 8 20:51:55 EDT 2023

Hi Fred/Derek/flywire/all,

Maybe I am just not understanding the situation as you are describing
it, but I have not ever seen a 1099DIV (the USA's IRS form for
accounting for dividend payments -
https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1099-div) that also listed
basis adjustments on it...? But I have only seen a few foreign/non-US
dividend statements...

I understood basis adjustments to be accounted for when the asset is
sold and the most common adjustments for US stocks are wash sales, but I
can't ever remember seeing those noted on a 1099DIV, they are usually
recorded on a 1099B (https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1099-b).

If the asset is not being sold/disposed of
(https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-schedule-d-form-1040 &
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc703), would just making a note that
could carry forward to the next year be the easiest thing to do?

Maybe I am just not understanding, are there more details that you could
share with us?

Thanks,

Brad

P.S. Although I like to include all the related emails in my response,
Thunderbird (the email client I use -
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/) is separating flywire's email, even
though it has the same subject line, from Fred & Derek's emails...?