[GNC] Consolidation of family member accounts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Aug 13 13:55:25 EDT 2023

This is the same case as reimbursement tracking. (covered in the Wiki -
Using GnuCash, it might also be in the Tutorial & Concepts Guide)

I would simply create two asset accounts, one for your wife and your son
each.

When you give them money, you would credit your bank/cash-on-hand
account, and debit their 'reimbursement' account.

Do the reverse if they return any money to you.

When they spend those funds and you want to record the expense, simply
do so through the reimbursement account as the source of funds and split
against normal expense accounts as if you had made the purchase.

If they never return any money to you, and/or if they have access to
spend out of say a checking account directly with an 'allowance limit'
then you can make those as sub-accounts of the Bank account.

If you need some other level of tracking who spent on what, tag your
transactions in some way in the Description, Notes, Memo, etc. Then you
can run a Transaction Report filtered to transactions matching the
desired 'tag'.

Regards,
Adrien