[GNC] Imbalanced in-kind stock transfer

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 22:29:21 EDT 2023

Read the entire Tutorial section on investments.  After you have figured
out how to record a security purchase and a security sale, you will need to
enter both a purchase and a sale in brokerage security account A and a
purchase in brokerage security account B. That will effect a transfer of a
security from brokerage security account A to brokerage security account B
Note that you will need to enter the share price for each transaction so
that you can correctly enter the capital asset value for each transaction.
You will also need to enter a transaction line to enter the capital gain or
loss in the closing or sale transaction. Even if you are just moving a
stock certificate from one place to another, GnuCash will consider it a
sale and purchase because it does not know whether both accounts are owned
by the same taxable entity.

You are correct that GnuCash does not force you to enter both a source and
a destination account for shares of securities like it does for currency,
but it does conserve the value of the security account.  That share
tracking is up to the user.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 8:01 PM Dong Lin via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two stock accounts A and B linked to the same security. Want to
> transfer 100 shares from A to B.  So in the register of A, set the transfer
> column to B, and enter -100 (negative) shares, hit ENTER.
> The balance of A is decreased by 100. However, B's balance is unchanged
> and the shares column is empty.
> Should double-entry be maintained for stock accounts? Debug logging showed
> that this should have been handled in gnc_split_register_save_cells for
> both bank accounts and stock accounts if I read the code correctly.
> However, it performs double-entry by value, but not by amount/shares. So
> stock accounts are not enforced. Should gnc_split_register_save_shares_cell
> perform double-entry by amount? It sets the amount for one split, but not
> the other one.
>

> Thanks.
> Dong

David Carlson