[GNC] Issues with gnucash files

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Aug 24 12:28:00 EDT 2023

Barry,

thanks for the update.

The *.log and *.gcm files are not your data.  no idea what *.msf and *.dmp
would be (maybe a crash dump?).    Your main data file will most likely be a
*,gnucash file.

As to backups and datestamps etc.... see the attached image.

mafs-new-accs.xac is my data file (.xac is the very old suffix, it still works
and ,gnucash is equivalent.  I'm just old-school)

ignore the .logs

you can see the datestamps are YYYYMMDDhhmmss which should help you decipher
your list.

the first backup in my image is 20230824120845.   So it was made today
(2023-08-24 at 12:08:45) ..... as you can see, that time matches the "create
time/date" for the base file.

hope that helps you with the deciphering, if you can't get us a screenshot.

Just try to find the *.gnucash file with the most recent date stamp in the name,
move it into a new folder, call it something sensible and open it.  see what
transactions GC says is there.  Add a test txn in and try to save it.

Good luck
Maf.