[GNC] Fwd: Gnucash

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:17:24 EDT 2023

On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Michael or Penny Novack <
stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

> I think Barry might need more....
>
> a) While you are logged in as "Barry" and "Barry" is an ordinary user
> you might be able to READ a file in the user "Administrator" data area
> but you will not have permission to write to if.
>
> b) While you are logged in as "administrator" (a super user) you would
> be able to both read and write to any file on the computer regardless of
> what user's data area it is in. THAT is what your "administrator" log in
> is for. You should NOT be logged in as administrator unless you need
> that "super power"
>
> c) With a little time and patience we mat be able to help you untangle
> the mess you are in. But unless you are able to break the habit of doing
> ordinary work while logged in as administrator, might recur. You also
> need to learn to give meaningful names to your data files (so you can
> find them, distinguish from files with similar names), put into a
> defined location (directory aka "file folder") and if troublesome to
> you, control the number of "backup" and:"log files" retained.
>
> NOTE --- (going to put on my old senior analyst hat for a moment) ......
> Barry, is there any chance that you once had your "Barry" log in
> specified to have "administrator rights" and you recently, quite
> properly,  respecified "Barry" to be just an ordinary user? And then all
> of a sudden, logged in as "Barry" could no longer save? Because if you
> originally created you gnucash books while logged in as "administrator"
> but found that all worked fine while logged in as "Barry" (but "Barry"
> ALSO had administrator rights) Because in that case, what you are
> experiencing is exactly what I would expect to happen. Administrator
> rights are like a superpower, can access any user's data.
>
> Michael D Novack

A thought: I assume GnuCash needs admin rights to install (as many apps
do). I normally download programs as myself (and ordinary user) and install
them, providing my administrator credentials upon request. At the end of
the install, some programs ask if I want to run the program. When doing an
install as I've outlined, I always answer "no", because I'm afraid that the
installation program may still be running as the administrator or with
admin rights. Thus, I decline to run it, and run it separately as myself.

Maybe he did an update of GnuCash, and then ran it as the admin  without
realizing? Is that possible??

Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com
Micah 6:8