[GNC] GNU Cash not performing math functions correctly on entry [SOLVED]

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 20:13:26 EST 2023

Years ago - like in the 60s and 70s, there were adding machines - things that were replaced with what we now call calculators - that had a ‘feature’  - in some case the only mode of operating - that the decimal point was assumed two to the left of the last digit.  This was a great time saver - you never had to hit the decimal point between dollars and cents - if there was no decimal, it just assumed you were typing cents.  They typically had a 00 button too, so when you actually wanted integer dollars, you didn’t have to type .00 (three key strokes) just 00 (one).

I have got to believe “automatic decimal” is emulating that behaviour.  And no wonder nobody has that setting on anymore.

It’s consistent with all the “bug” examples that have been shown.