[GNC] Navigation through chart of accounts: shortcuts or bookmarks?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Dec 1 22:13:17 EST 2023

I'll add that the workflow for Find Account is:

1. CTRL/CMD-I, which brings up the Find Account dialog
2. start typing your search text, in this case "500" (without the
quotes) and hit ENTER to search
3. the result is a list of matching accounts. Use the up/down arrow keys
to highlight the desired account.
4. hit Enter to jump to the account in the Accounts tab
5. hit SPACE to open that register

That sounds like a lot more clicks, but:

* you get a narrowed down list to choose from
* you can jump to the account and open its register with two very fast
keystrokes after the search
* you can do this even without viewing the Accounts tab. (e.g., while
viewing another register)

The drawback to searching from the Accounts tab using the OP's
quick-type method, is that *only* shows you accounts that are already
visible - that is - expanded on the page. If that part of the tree is
collapsed, the method the OP describes will not find the account. It is
a 'visible text search' feature only and has no cognizance of
'accounts', where the Find Account feature does. It isn't as far as I
know a feature of GnuCash, but something from GTK that came along for
the ride.

Regards,
Adrien