[GNC] Advise me please: go up to 5.4.2 or stay at 4.13?

Eric Chapman gnucashlist at etchapman.com
Mon Dec 4 14:10:59 EST 2023

Hi, everybody.

I did one year's worth of accounting for a very small business (market
gardening) via GnuCash 4.13 last year starting about this time and
ending with tax return filings. This year I've kept all the 2023
paperwork on hand and organized and am ready to start inputting it into
GnuCash. I do use some of the business features. Double-entry accounting
makes sense to me, but I recall struggling with some things in GnuCash
last year, mostly just newbie stuff with the interface (and the infamous
way to change the width of displayed columns somewhere in the mix!).

I did use some business features (IIRC, A/R and A/P).

I do scan  through the posts to the GNUcash user list, so I know there
were some issues with 5.x when it came out. But is 5.4 really up to
every day work with no glitches?

Should I upgrade? Will 5.4 work OK on an Apple M processor running
Sonoma (see details below)?

Any advice at all?

(I'm willing to just stay with 4.13 since it worked last year, but if
5.4 is good, I'll move on up. I'm not usually an early adopter of software.)

BTW, in 2024, I hope to use GnuCash at least monthly to input the data …
:) I need less of a year-end crunch, but the growing season was too
hectic to deal with it this year.

Thank you very much!

--
Eric Chapman
GnuCash 4.13 on MacOS 14.1 Sonoma running on an Apple M3 Max computer.