[GNC] Why or why not to do year-end closing journal entries? (Close Books?)

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 19:40:35 EST 2023

Hi Eric

To close or not to close is entirely a personal decision.

 From https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books
"Using Close Book Option
Since 2.2.4, there has been a menu item for closing the books under
{Tools->Close Book}. This item creates two zeroing transactions (one for
expense accounts, one for income accounts). Each account in those
portions of the accounts tree is reset to zero by transferring from the
equity account of your choosing."

Try it yourself and see.  It is a non-destructive process that you can
simply cancel, either by deleting the two transactions it generates in
the Equity account you nominated, or closing without saving.

If you are interested in what other people do, this topic is discussed
periodically:

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2022-January/099274.html

Regards

Geoff