[GNC] How to "lock" expenses from previous year?

Eric Chapman gnucashlist at etchapman.com
Mon Dec 4 21:23:53 EST 2023

Once I'm sure I'm done with 2022 and the data is not going to change, is
there a good way to lock the income/expense accounts so I do not
accidentally post something to a previous year?

Somewhere in the manual I saw something that said you can "reconcile"
income & expense accounts to lock them:

    Because expense accounts are generated entirely by you, there are no
    statements against which you would reconcile your data. Therefore,
    there is technically nothing to reconcile. You can, of course use
    the reconcile process for expense accounts, which will lock the
    transactions for future editing.

Anybody doing that? Any advice on best practices? I'd like to do it all
in one fell swoop – the entire year at once.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm knocking off for the night, hoping to check back in the morning.

--
Eric Chapman
GnuCash 4.14 on MacOS 14.1 Sonoma running on an Apple M3 Max computer.