[GNC] Selling an unpaid invoice to another business at face value?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 09:32:20 EST 2023

On 12/6/2023 8:40 PM, Adrien Monteleone via gnucash-user wrote:
> The amount owed stays in AR.
>
> Who owes it is what changes.

Look, this isn't really about gnucash. And selling of A/R is far from
unusual. But a list helping people use gnucash isn't the place to
discuss "factoring" from scratch. But I will say this much.

If a business sells some or all of its A/R then it should be obvious
that for THAT business those amounts no longer receivable but already
received. Those become the business of the factor to collect. The factor
would need to have the invoices.

I assume we are NOT talking about the unusual situation where you are
keeping the books for both the first business and the second (separate
entities, separate books).

Michael D Novack

PS --- In addition to sale to a factor, we also can have sale of "bad
debt" to a collection agency. Again, once sold no longer receivables of
the business.