[GNC] Business Income Statement: manipulating Cost of Goods sold

Eric Chapman gnucashlist at etchapman.com
Sat Dec 9 06:40:01 EST 2023

Thank you, Adrien.

I knew it was a presentation issue, and was trying to figure out how to
present it correctly and yet be able to use GnuCash as I *wanted* to :)

I also realize the importance of the inventory accounts and the theory
behind this. I just know that the amounts and number of transactions are
minuscule at this point, so I was trying to cut corners. Maybe not a
good move. Second smiley :)

I was surprised that GnuCash limits the user's ability to debit an
income account from the Accounts Payable section, so I guess that was
where I scratched my head and wondered… No biggie. I suppose that
feature is intended to prevent inadvertent debits to income accounts,
which I can understand. I can deal with that limitation (feature) in
GnuCash. And I may just go back and re-do those few transactions with
inventory accounts.

I agree that COGS is an expense account. But as far as I know it is
either usually or always presented in the income section of the Income
Statement, not in the expense section. I would have thought, though,
that the "Income" or "Expense" attribute would be irrelevant to *where*
something is presented: *I expected the parent-child hierarchy of the
Chart of Accounts would control presentation*. I only marked the COGS
accounts as "Income" after finding out the parent-child hierarchy is
*not* the deciding factor in presentation, since I perceived that the
"Income" attribute would put them in the income section of the Income
Statement. I'm sure it makes sense from a programming perspective since
the storing of data under the hood should not be determined by possible
reporting desires. I probably won't put in the effort to learn Scheme –
as much as I'd like to. Not enough time available for the benefit.

Thanks again!

Eric