[GNC] Accounting Period Change issue

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Dec 18 08:44:47 EST 2023

> In trying to track down a Total (Period) issue, I used Edit -> Preferences -> Accounting Period to change the Start Date and End Date fields to Absolute dates.
> After doing Close of that dialog,
> there appeared to be no change
> in the values in the Total (period) column.
> I expected a change, but maybe it is working as designed.
>
> However, after closing and reopening GnuCash, there then were changes in the values.

Did you want an EXPLANATION of this behavior? (why you had to close,
then reopen the application before the change "took effect")

As a retired senior systems analyst who has designed a lot of software,
even without examining the code:

1) I am not surprised by this behavior and almost certain about WHY the
program behaves this way. Definitely not a "bug".

2) If the user desired behavior were to have this action take place upon
closing the dialog (without doing  a manual save/close/reopen) the
change in the program to make that happen would be an automated
save/close/reopen. That could cause its own user confusion. I'd rather
KNOW when each "save" was done (where was I in the work flow)

Michael D Novack