[GNC] Updated GnuCash from 3.8 to 5.4

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sun Dec 24 17:06:14 EST 2023

Hello, Sharon:

On 2023-12-23 08:24, sc wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Due to purchasing a new computer, I had to install GnuCash again, thus
> a new version.
>
> Everything seems pretty good with my data, except:
>
> 1)  My previous "Saved Report Configurations" have disappeared. Is
> there a way to retrieve them from my old computer?
>
> 2)  I used to have the account names all colored coded on my register
> views.  Did that function disappear?
>
> Thank you for any help!  I am a home user without a lot of computer
> expertise.

Some places to look for more help:

1. the GnuCash FAQ on the Wiki, specifically "Q: I just got a new
computer. What should I copy over from my old one?"
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_just_got_a_new_computer._What_should_I_copy_over_from_my_old_one.3F>

2. Do you still have the old computer? Have you avoided adding a lot of
data to your GnuCash book in the new location? If so, you can perhaps
redo the transition. The FAQ suggests, "You need to copy the same files
that you'd backup, so see Backup
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup>." "copy the configuration files
to the older version location and let GnuCash move them to the new
locations."

3. Check out the "Configuration Locations" article to find your report
settings. <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations>

And of course, if that doesn't work, come on back here and ask your next
question.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt