[GNC] GnuCash getting worse?

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 17:00:05 EST 2023

Richard,

Given the relatively small pool of active developers it is inevitable that there
will be occasions where major changes in external libraries, operating systems
as well as banking systems and technology and accounting practice can result in
a cascade of bugs in the program and the developers are going to face a period
of catchup to track them all down. The lack of a large pool of beta testers
means that bugs, particularly the more subtle ones, are not necessarily found
quickly. These days bugs are very rarely associated with the core engine of the
program and are mainly in the gui/presentation/reports  parts of the program so
the core accounting functionality is rarely affected. Keeping and expanding an
active pool of developers is an eternal problem in any sort of open source
project.  All we can do is contribute what and where we can and be grateful for
the hard work of those who made and make GnuCash possible. I had hoped to be
more involved after retiring but life had other plans and has imposed other
priorities.

David Cousens