[GNC] gnucash crashes on vendor or customer searches

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Dec 28 19:34:11 EST 2023

On 12/28/23 2:27 PM, Eric Hammond wrote:
> I would very much appreciate if you would show somehow how much of this email you would like included in my replies?

Eric,

Does my quotation amount illustrate the answer? (you can cut out all the
fluff & boilerplate, just the part you are replying to is fine for context)

Some mail clients have a feature where if you highlight what you want to
quote and *then* hit reply-all/reply-list, only the highlighted part
will be quoted. That way, you don't have to delete extraneous material
before and after.

>> When searching a specific Vendor, gnucash instantly shuts down.
>> The lock is not cleared, but the file is re-openable.

For completeness, the lock is never cleared on a crash. You will always
get that warning message, but you should still be able to open the file.
If not, then that is indeed a serious bug. (or maybe two bugs)

Also, read up on the wiki about Tracefiles. You can only obtain one
*before* you restart GnuCash after a crash. Thus, if you experience a
crash, step 1 would be to get a Tracefile saved (as it gets overwritten
every time GnuCash launches) and then document the immediate steps that
led to the crash. (every recent click and dialog/tab if possible) And
then upon re-launch, try to repeat the scenario/steps to make it crash
again. (Repeatable crashes are oddly re-assuring in that it means an
explicit set of steps produces the crash, thus the steps can offer a
clue on where in the code lies the problem. Random and inconsistent
crashes are not fun to track down.)

It is also important on crashes (or any bug) to include your OS and
version as some bugs only exist in some environments and not others.

Regards,
Adrien