[GNC] The wacky idea and the accountant

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 10:59:57 EST 2023

> When I showed them GNC, admittedly briefly, they got quite excited--well,
> by accountant standards at least :) They asked me to discuss it more with
> them, and help them understand further, after tax time, and were very
> interested in having it for themselves to browse my books interactively.
> They also asked if I might be willing to make a small presentation to some
> of their interested clients to help them understand the possibilities and
> potential issues if they were to migrate.
>
> I shall, of course, be hoping to get a much more thorough understanding of
> the system myself before I do that :)
>
> Perhaps there's hope yet :)

  This does NOT surprise me in the least. Before the 2006 house fire one of my orgs had/was using QuickBooks Pro -- for non-profits. In spite of its name, had none of the added features* a non-profit would want (gnucash doesn't either so not replaced (we could get ANY software/hardware with the software/hardware replacement coverage -- didn't have to be the same)

   I was able to switch to gnucash with essentially zero learning curve. The differences were trivial.

   In other words, if familiar with QuickBooks, gnucash an attractive alternative.

Michael D Novack

* Would want invoice/statement production ALSO cash basis and person category "donor" (in addition to customer and vendor)   I know of organizations using QuickBooks (and of course gnucash) who work around the lack. The point here is that when we invoice "members" to renew their memberships that is NOT a receivable. They are under no obligation to renew. This is very different from invoicing a customer for goods or services in that they DO owe you the money. The member of a voluntary organization does not.