[GNC] GnuCash PortableApp for Windows

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Feb 2 12:53:23 EST 2023

I see nothing on that page that answers the second question. I suppose by linking it you meant that there's some Portable Apps policy, but that page contains no policies, nor any suggestion that any policies exist.

It may be a standard distribution for some packages, but it's not for LibreOffice: Their official Windows downloads are at https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/?type=win-x86_64&version=7.5.0&lang=en-US. The page you linked is legitimate and includes an interesting note: "LibreOffice is packaged for portable use by PortableApps.com <https://portableapps.com/> with permission and assistance from The Document Foundation <https://documentfoundation.org/>. For more information and support please visit this page <https://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable> (for LibreOffice Portable Fresh) and this page <https://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice-portable-still> (for LibreOffice Portable Still).". It seems reasonable that since the PortableApps packager works with the LibreOffice devs that the latter would promote it on their website, but notice that second sentence: If you need support, go to PortableApps. Not that that does any good, because the linked page just points back to https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/community-support/.

 I don't know of anyone ever asking permission to package GnuCash for PortableApps and a search of the mailing lists turns up only complaints about various things not working on PortableApps installations, so I'm pretty confident that the PortableApps packager doesn't have permission and completely confident in saying that they haven't gotten any assistance.

Regards,
John Ralls