[GNC] Huge number of missing transactions

Daine Pearson Daine at NLSpro.com
Fri Feb 3 19:00:18 EST 2023

Hi all,

I do see a few messages spread over the years about similar issues but
most have gone unanswered so I thought I'd create a new one.

My partner and I have been jointly using GNUcash for a few years. The
XML data files reside on a shared network drive.
I recently installed a new Win 10 computer and installed the latest (at
the time) 4.11.
I did not think about the fact that her system was still running 3.6 -
Probably the culprit...
Everything seems to have been going fine but yesterday she noticed all
the payments into a credit card account were gone, leaving quite a large
negative balance. I looked further and discovered this was true for many
accounts but I do not believe any accounts were missing or completely empty.
I went into the shared directory and could easily see by the file size
that a large data reduction recently occurred as the size suddenly drops
from ~900KB to ~600KB.
There is also a 17MB (136325 lines) log file in that same time period.
Not so much had happened in the few days after that file size drop so I
exported some new transactions that had been manually entered in the
(corrupted) file and saved one of the earlier files as the new data file.
I updated both machines to the latest stable 4.13 build, imported those
new transactions and just for kicks, ran the repair function which did
not throw any messages so presumably nothing was fixed.
Things seem to be fine but it occurred to me that it would be useful if
I understood better what the log files actually might reveal and if they
also show actions taken by the program?
It seems pretty clear that each new transaction generates a log entry
but I'm unsure how deletions, moved items, etc., are marked in the logs.
I'm guessing the letters in the 'mod' column between Start & End mean
something but not sure what.

I presume and hope that something about managing and saving the same
data file under both versions is what caused the mishap but it would be
good to understand the situation better so all thoughts welcome.

And presuming sharing files between different program version is a
danger (which it likely is), I guess it would be helpful if opening an
account file would trigger a cancel message if it was last saved by a
different version, particularly a newer version.

Thanks... DP