[GNC] Entry of unknown transaction

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 12:46:34 EST 2023

I have occasionally found a stray deposit receipt near an ATM when I was
withdrawing cash.  If I carelessly pocketed it with my receipt, I might get
a surprise later. The stray would have a different account number on it.
Could this be what happened to you?

On Sat, Feb 4, 2023 at 8:32 AM Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2023, at 11:58, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have discovered several transactions that show up in one account but
> do not show up in any other existing account. Regardless of what the bank
> image shows of where the check was deposited.
> >
> > I.E.  I have a deposit slip that shows it went to our checking account
> but never showed up there  (OFX or printed mailed statement).  I can not
> reconcile it so how do  handle it?
> >
> > In other words, I have half of a double entry transaction.  More than
> one, unfortunately.
> >
> > --
> > --JEffrey Black M.B.A.
>
> Not entirely sure what you mean, Jeffrey.
>
> Are the transactions you refer to recorded in GNUCash as money paid into
> your account but without a recorded source account? This should have a
> corresponding entry in the Imbalance account, automatically created when
> you put in an unbalanced transaction.
>
> Did you receive a check which you deposited in your checking account and
> for which your received a receipt from the bank in the form of a date-stamp
> on the deposit slip, but for which there is no record in the bank statement
> (paper or electronic)?
>
> If yes, then you need to take that up with the bank - was the check
> bounced?
>
> When you’re reconciling, you’re matching up the bank’s view of the world
> with your own, and can only mark as reconciled the transactions which
> appear in both.
>
> Michael

David Carlson