[GNC] Splitting an imported transaction?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 13:04:46 EST 2023

 Simon ,
This is not too different from the situation with a personal payroll
deposit.  Like John suggested, create a template scheduled transaction
modelled after the document that the bank provides detailing the
transaction, but include something describing it as a template.  Then, when
you have the actual document in hand and, after importing the actual
transaction from the bank (which has the actual total), modify the
transaction created by the Since Last Run druid to match the real bank
numbers and then delete the imported transaction.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2023 at 11:18 AM john <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > On Feb 4, 2023, at 7:23 AM, Simon Roberts <
> simon at dancingcloudservices.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I use a third party organization to run payroll, and they make two
> > withdrawals from my bank. One is the amount actually paid to employees
> (two
> > of us :) and the other is the sum of taxes collected from those
> employees,
> > plus the employer's tax contributions.
> >
> > Unsurprisingly, when this imports, from the bank records, it shows as two
> > transactions, and the tax stuff is all lumped into a single transaction.
> >
> > As yet, I've only handled this once and did it wrong anyway (I fixed it
> up
> > by hand OK though). However, in three months it'll happen again so I
> figure
> > if I ask now I could be ready to try to do it right next time.
> >
> > What I'd like--but suspect might be impossible, is to persuade the import
> > operation to create a split to the two accounts (payroll taxes: employer
> > and payroll taxes-employee). I'm not so concerned about how the money is
> > allocated across the split (there's really no way for the system to know
> > what to do about that, after all), but if there's a placeholder, that
> would
> > be a nice start.
> >
> > Or perhaps there's some other approach that I've not thought of?
> >
> > What do folks recommend?
>
> I suggest creating a scheduled transaction that creates the splits. Make
> the descriptions the same as the imported transaction and the posted date
> and amount as close as possible. The goal is for the matcher to see that as
> possibly the same as the imported transaction and offer to match it instead
> of creating a new one.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

David Carlson