[GNC] Credit/Debit vs Withdrwal/Deposit

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Feb 5 16:50:54 EST 2023

On 2/5/2023 4:05 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> I believe this is a function of the account type.  "Bank" accounts get the
> Withdrawal and Deposit labels, and others get labeled the Debit and Credit (I
> think credit [card] accounts get labeled with Charge and Payment).
>
> At Sun, 5 Feb 2023 15:50:18 -0500 King Mak <handsomepoly at gmail.com> wrote:

For some, the "user friendly" labels will be easier than the formal
accounting labels "debit" and "credit".

But if not, if these sometimes confuse you (changing as they do
depending on "type" of account, you can always ask gnucash to use the
formal labels. Then all you have to remember is the sense of the account
(assets have sense debit, liabilities and equity sense credit; temporary
accounts of type expense and income are debit and credit respectively).
If a transaction amount is the same sense as the account, it is
increasing, if opposite then decreasing.

Michael D Novack