[GNC] Saved Report Configurations

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 09:18:53 EST 2023

On 2/13/2023 8:18 AM, Mahon Finbar wrote:
> Thank you so much David, much appreciated and entirely logical.
>
> I now have 2021 and 2022 nicely arranged.
> Just to be sure, for 2023 I should save it, when the time comes, as
> 'Save Config as' and give it the appropriate title??
>
> Thanks again.
> Finbar

However, there IS a different approach possible.

I do  not consider the SAME report except run for a different
date/period to be a different "configuration". I consider
"configuration" to refer to things like display options, nesting levels,
what accounts to include/exclude, etc. But not dates.

So how do I handle the reality that I have many P&L reports, many
Balance Sheet reports, etc. run for different dates?

I create directories (file folders) to hold them with suitable names
(like Balance Sheets) and then after running the report in gnucash I
export it to this folder using a suitable file name that clearly
identifies it. Thus I might name the the file which is a Balance Sheet
run for the effective date of Jan 31 "BalanceSheet20230131"

Mind, I've been using gnucash since 2007, so if saving within gnucash
data. It would  be a ridiculous amount of clutter within gnucash data if
I kept them all there. The fact that I knew to do this from the start
(when there were just a few) is because I was a freshly retired pro.
Avoid future problems.

Michael D Novack