[GNC] Interest Income

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:09:51 EST 2023

Abe

You have the debit and credit entries for a bank account (asset account) back to
front.

When you deposit money into your bank account you debit the bank account and
credit an appropriate income account  (or another asset account if it is a
transfer of money between asset accounts).

When you purchase something your bank account is credited and the appropraite
expense account is debited

The confusion arises because your bank's statement is prepared from their
perspective. What is an asset in your hands (your bank account) is a liability
to them in their hands so you will find that debits and credits are reversed
between your banks statement and in your own accounts.

It is the reverse for a credit card account which is an asset for the bank and a
liability for you.

How debits and credits affect different types of accounts takes a bit of getting
your head around initially.

The short set of rules is:

Asset and Expense type accounts - debits increase the balance and credits
decrease the balance;

Equity, Income and Liability type accounts Credits increase the balance and
debits decrease the balance.

Hope this helps make it a bit easier to follow.

David Cousens