[GNC] ATM withdrawl

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sun Feb 26 04:01:37 EST 2023

On 2023-02-25 19:43, Fred Tydeman wrote:

> When I try to record an ATM withdrawal, I do not see any way to  add a
> split for the bank fee.
>
> I am taking 150 euros from an ATM.  There is a 10.50 euro bank fee.  My
> bank sees a withdrawal of 171.85 USD.  I have trading accounts turned on.
>
> In my US bank account, I enter USD 171.85; I say that the money is going to
> a euro account.  I get a popup where I enter 160.50 euros.  I see no way to
> split out 150 cash and 10.50 bank fee.
>
> This is in GnuCash 4.13 on Linux.

Ah, a person after my own heart: recording multi-currency transactions
with a main payment and a split for a fee.

I suspect that what is going on here is that your transaction is not a
simple ATM withdrawal, it is a multiple-currency ATM withdrawal.

For a single-currency ATM withdrawal, the GnuCash data entry is simpler.
Imagine you are withdrawing 150.00 USD from an ATM, from your USD bank
account. There is a 10.50 USD bank fee. Your USD bank sees a withdrawal
of 160.50 USD.

In that case you would follow the instructions in the GnuCash Help
documentation, 6.4. Multiple Split Transactions
<https://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=4&lang=C&doc=help>, to make the
multiple splits of the transaction visible in the UI. There will be two
splits, one withdrawing 150.00 USD from the USD bank account, and one
adding 150.00 USD to your USD cash-in-pocket account. You simply add a
third split, for 10.50 USD, for the fee, and increase the split
withdrawing from the USD bank account to 160.50 USD.

But since this is a multi-currency transaction, you also has the
Transfer Funds dialogue box, which also serves as the foreign exchange
dialogue box. You will want to read up in the GnuCash Help
documentation, 6.1. Transfer Funds Dialog Box
<https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-help/trans-win-enter.html>,
especially 6.1.3 Currency Transfer, and also 6.5. Multiple
Currency/Commodity Transactions
<https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-help/trans-currency-enter.html>.
This documentation only tells you part of the story, and does not
include screenshots of the dialogue box. Some day I may contribute an
improvement to this section, because it keeps confusing me.

One thing to know is that each transaction has a base currency. This is
set to the currency of the register from which you enter the
transaction. If you enter the transaction from your USD bank account,
the base currency of the transaction will be USD, and all splits with
EUR amounts will put up the Transfer Funds dialogue box to get a USD:EUR
conversion rate.

Another thing to know is that each split which has an account
denominated in a currency different from the transaction's base currency
has its own exchange rate. The Transfer Funds dialogue box deals only
with that individual split and its exchange rate. Thus, a Transfer Funds
dialogue dealing with the split for your EUR cash-in-pocket account is
not the place to add a second split for Bank Service Charge in Euros.

For your USD and EUR mixed-currency transaction, you should first enter
a third split for the Bank Service Charge. It is up to you whether you
make an account for EUR Bank Service Charges, or record the charge
against a USD Bank Service Charges account.

If you enter the transaction from your USD bank account register, the
base currency of the transaction will be USD. When you add a split with
a EUR Bank Service Charge account, you will want to enter a EUR amount
of 10.50 EUR, and an exchange rate of (150+10.50)/171.85 EUR/USD. (You
may need to enter the inverse of this fraction; the Transfer Funds
dialogue box always confuses me, and I usually enter the rate in the
wrong direction at least 50% of the time.) But when you add a split with
a USD Bank Service Charge account, you will want to enter the USD
equivalent of 10.50 EUR directly in the split, which will be
171.85/(150+10.50) USD (I am pretty confident about that fraction).

Note that you can enter simple expressions like this in a split's amount
field, and GnuCash will do the arithmetic for you. See the GnuCash
Tutorial and Concepts Guide, 2.9.2.4. Using Entry Shortcuts
<https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_txns.html#txns-shortcuts1>,
and the bullet point beginning, "In any of the amount fields, you can
use a built-in calculator."

Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt