[GNC] Scheduled transactions

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 17:20:24 EST 2023

Tommy,

My workflow is somewhat different but I find it gives me a good handle on
upcoming transactions and account balances...

I just set up all of my scheduled transactions to Create automatically and
Notify me when created 60 days in advance. This gives me a pretty good idea
of what's coming up even over the next couple of months even for bills such
as utilities that haven't arrived yet.  When Gnucash starts it displays a
list of newly created scheduled transactions for me to check if I want to,
most times I just give it a quick scan and close the tab.

I also check the "Register >> Layout >> Future transactions after blank
transaction" checkbox ON (I usually sort on date order) so that I get a
blank transaction line between transactions up to today and the future
transactions which makes the future ones stand out.

When I get the actual utility bill, which can be up to 6 weeks before the
due date in some cases, I update the due date and amount details and take
it from there :-)

Yes, forget the variables, I've never managed to get them to work either by
duplicating and modifying an existing transaction or creating one from
scratch, so I found it wasn't worth persisting with at all !!!

Cheers David H.

ps I skimmed over the adding error and didn't notice it until I saw your
followup email :-)