[GNC] Variables in Scheduled transactions

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 4 23:53:25 EST 2023

On 2023-01-04 14:20, David H wrote:
> Yes, forget the variables, I've never managed to get them to work
> either by
> duplicating and modifying an existing transaction or creating one from
> scratch, so I found it wasn't worth persisting with at all !!!

My mortgage payment (say 900.00) is the same each month, but of course
every month interest (intamt) is a few cents less and principal
(900-intamt) the same few cents more. My scheduled transaction is:

Debit: Liabilities:Mortgage Principal  900-intamt
Debit: Expenses:Mortgage Interest      intamt
Credit:Assets:Bank Account             900.00

I would like to be prompted for the interest due when the transaction
fires, and then have GC compute the principal as 900.00 minus interest.
But GC prompts me twice.

Is there some way I've missed for how to use the same variable twice in
a scheduled transaction but be prompted for it only once?

(I also have a couple of dozen accruals at the end of every month, for
instance a debit to Expenses:Fixed Auto Expense and _equal_ credit to
Assets:Auto. I'd love th have GC prompt me for each amount so that I
wouldn't have to fill them ion in duplicate. The answer to my mortgage
question will show the answer to this no-formula question as well, I'm
sure.)

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com