[GNC] Entering Dividend Confusion

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 21:13:09 EST 2023

Australia has a provision in its taxation law to prevent double taxation of the
component of profits of companies paid out to shareholders as dividends. As
company tax has already been paid on it, the shareholder is credited with a
"franking credit" as part of the dividend which can be used to offset the tax
payable. If the company tax (30%) paid is less than the individual's tax rate,
then they only have to pay the difference between their marginal tax rate and
the company tax. If their tax rate is less than the company tax , they get a
refund of the difference in the tax rates. Companies can choose to pay dividends
from profits before or after the company tax has been paid. If their dividends
are paid out of pre-tax profits, then the shareholder doesn't receive the
franking credit and they pay the full tax rate on the dividend, their dividends
are referred to as unfranked (untaxed).

David Cousens