[GNC] Questions about setting up new accounts from brand new user

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jan 23 19:31:54 EST 2023

On 1/23/23 2:33 PM, flywire wrote:
>> that isn't the latest, nor official documentation.
>
> No, it's not but it is the version I recommend. Feedback on how it compares
> with the official version would be useful.

The official documentation should always be the recommendation. It is
actively maintained, refined and updated to match the current app
version. (not perfect, but it is always the best version)

You'd have to diff the two or find a way to merge/copy the gnucash-docs
PRs to that readthedocs repo.

Also, that link is just the Tutorial & Concepts Guide. It doesn't look
that Repo contains the Help documentation, and I didn't find a separate
link for one.

> Two farm-related use issues for me are no automatic sales tax calculations
> for cash accounting (only business features with accrual accounting) and no
> classification on transactions (eg classify your vehicle expenses for lamb
> and tourism enterprises then report by classification). There are
> workarounds.

And those workarounds aren't terribly difficult:

1. Create invoices as needed, and either wait to post until they are
paid, or unpost/repost/process-payment. (or handle
point-of-sales/invoicing outside of GnuCash and import the result)

2. Use any free-form 'tag' in your transactions using various or
multiple fields and use the Transaction Report with filters. (not
perfect, I know, and it would be nicer if the Income Statement supported
the same filters)

Regards,
Adrien