[GNC] Reconciliation error - how should I correct?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 04:34:25 EST 2023

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 19:46, R Losey <rlosey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Normally, people 'reconcile' their records to the financial institution,
> marking the ones on which they agree as 'reconciled'.
>
> If everything went right, the accounts should balance, leaving the
> transactions that the bank doesn't know about... regardless of date.

I was probably interpreting this

https://cvs.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/txns-reconcile1.html

incorrectly, where it says

“
Warning

It is important to understand that reconciliation is done for a given date,
and when you reconcile an account based on a statement from a given date,
you are reconciling *all transactions prior to that date*. Therefore, if
you add or modify transactions that predate your last reconciliation, your
*reconciled* balances will be thrown off.”

As far as I am aware, the transaction took place  in June. So to add the
entry to GnuCash I needed to add a transaction that occurred prior to the
last reconciliation.

I note that bit of the documentation starts cvs. Google found me that, but
I think the latest documentation doesn’t say quite the same thing.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom