[GNC] Equity Account "problem"

Default User hunguponcontent at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 18:48:14 EDT 2023

Hi!

Is there a way to have Gnucash 4.13 (Debian GNU/Linux 12 Bookworm)
automatically calculate, and update "Equity" in the main accounts tab,
to show the "real" value of total Equity, after any action (or at least
transaction) that would affect "real" equity?

Example:
Start with the GnuCash "Common Accounts", as in gcashdata_1.gnucash
from the Tutorial and Concepts Guide, with all accounts set to $0.00.

Now make a transaction so that Equity:Opening Balances starts with
$10.00, and Assets:Current Assets:Cash in Wallet starts with $10.00.
At this point, Equity = $10.00.  All good so far.

But now, enter a transaction such as Expenses:Auto:Fuel (increase by
$5.00), paid by transfer from Assets:Cash in Wallet (decrease by
$5.00).

So now:
Assets = $5.00
Liabilities = $0.00
Equity = $10.00

So . . .  if Assets - Liabilities = Equity, then
$5.00 - $0.00 = $10.00?

Thus, Equity does not seem to include the $5.00 Expense transaction.
[Note: of course, the Balance Sheet in Reports does correctly show
Equity as $5.00.]

I assume that GnuCash has always been this way, from the beginning, and
is not likely to change now!

But is there a viable "workaround"?  I am pretty sure I understand what
is going on, and maybe why it was done that way (so that the account
ledger tabs show legitimate transactions" only?)

But it does bother my sense of "correctness".

[Note: I did see somewhere online a link to a web page that may have at
one time shown the desired solution, but the web page has since been
404'd.]

: (