[GNC] Unable to open GnuCash file: "No suitable backend was found for <FILE>."

Tomer Altman me at tomeraltman.net
Thu Jul 13 04:34:02 EDT 2023

On 7/12/23 6:26 PM, john wrote:

>> On Jul 12, 2023, at 16:16, Tomer Altman <me at tomeraltman.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Due to filesystem errors, I had to reinstall MacOS on my 2015 Macbook
>> Air (current OS version: Monterey 12.6.7). After doing so, and
>> restoring my files from a TimeMachine backup using Migration
>> Assistant, I started getting this error when trying to open my
>> accounting file:
>>
>> "No suitable  backend was found for <FILE>."
>>
>> (where "<FILE>" is a stand-in for the actual file name)
>>
>> I was at the time using a version of GnuCash from December 2022. I
>> then reinstalled using the installer available from gnucash.org
>> (current version: "5.3+(2023-06-26)" ). Unfortunately, the error
>> persists.
>>
>> Looking at this error message in the mailing list archives, it seems
>> like this has something to do with using the SQLite back-end. I
>> looked at the 'environment' text file, and it is implementing already
>> the environment variable recommended as a fix:
>>
>> GNC_DBD_DIR={SYS_LIB}/dbd
>>
>> It seems like my install is still unable to find the libraries that
>> it needs, though.
>>
>> It's unclear to me how to diagnose which version of the back-end my
>> file is using, since I cannot open it. Using 'file' and 'head' shows
>> that it is not XML, and I am unable to decompress the file using
>> Gzip. I'm also unable to open it using the sqlite3 command line tool.
>>
>> So, two questions:
>>
>> 1. What's the correct way to verify the back-end type using something
>> other than GnuCash itself?
>>
>> 2. What is wrong with my fresh install that is preventing me from
>> opening up the file?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any and all advice and assistance!
>
> If it's a SQLite file you can open it with sqlite3, provided by macOS.
> Just open Terminal and run
>    sqlite3 /path/to/my/gnucash/file
> You can use the `.tables` command to list the tables and `.schema
> <tablename>` to show the structure and compare it with
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL.
>
> 99% of the time when users report this problem it's because they're
> trying to open a log file or a .gcm file instead of their actual book.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Hi John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

I've tried doing what you are suggesting. Let's say that my "<FILE>"
name is "foo.gnucash". When I type the following:

sqlite3 foo.gnucash

 > .tables

I get:

"Error: file is not a database"

I thought to myself, "Perhaps the SQLite3 file was corrupted?" So I went
to a TimeMachine backup of the directory from April (before any issues
with my laptop), and copied over foo.gnucash to a temporary directory.
This file would open successfully with GnuCash. Using the command line,
I see that 'file' correctly identifies it as a gzip compressed file.

So it seems that this was an issue with the foo.gnucash file getting
corrupted, perhaps from the filesystem errors that I was experiencing.
Thanks for prompting me to debug this further. I'll restore my file
using the *.gnucash backup files, and by adding in the relevant log files.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a UI improvement: Telling the user "No
suitable backend was found for <FILE>" implies that the file is fine,
it's just that there's no back-end to support it. That impression was
bolstered by the mailing list discussion of missing library paths. I'd
suggest wording that makes it clear that the *FILE* is the issue, as in
it's either the wrong type, or it is corrupted. Perhaps, "<FILE> is not
a recognized GnuCash formatted file."

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,

~Tomer

--
Please do not send me sensitive information (e.g., passwords, personal details, financial/health information) via email, as it is not secure.
Please contact me to determine the best way to transfer sensitive information safely. Thank you!