[GNC] "Mod" field in GNUCash log file

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 20 16:26:48 EDT 2023

> On Jul 20, 2023, at 7:56 AM, Henry Law <news at lawshouse.org> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to sort out a baffling data problem with GNUCash and I'm
> looking at the logs.
>
> I can get most of it, thanks to the column name record at the start,
> but
>
>   1. What do '=====START" and "=====END" signify?
>   2. What is the "mod" field (field #1); I see values of 'B', 'C', and
>      'D' but can't deduce what they mean.

They're not actually meant to be human readable.

START and END delimit a single transaction edit; each line reflects the state of the transaction in that edit. 'B' lines reflect the state at the beginning of the edit, as to 'D' (for delete) and 'R' (for rollback). 'C' is for commit and the data in a C line is the new state of the transaction once it's committed.

There's some documentation at https://code.gnucash.org/docs/MASTER/group__TransLog.html.

Regards,
John Ralls