[GNC] strange lack of exchange rates in a new currency cash account

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Jul 23 15:09:38 EDT 2023

Scott,

> On Jul 23, 2023, at 03:11, Scott Ellsworth <scott at fastmail.us> wrote:
>
> ...sorry, accidentally didn't reply to all, so I'm forwarding my reply to the list....

It works off the latest price in the pricedb. If that's 0 then so will be the home-currency values on the accounts page and in the summary bar.

> You should check your other VND transactions to make sure that there aren't any other 0-price splits. There's only one set of prices for any particular commodity pair so you'd have to make a new book to see different price behavior.
> *I think I have this covered now based on what I said above, but the problem remains. Looking at the Price Database again now, I still see a non-zero price only for one day in spite of the correction I made.*

Editing transactions won't change an entry in the pricedb. Only creating a transaction will, and then only if there isn't already a corresponding price for that day. That means that if you create the first transaction of the day with a zero price and immediately correct it you still have a 0 price in the pricedb that you have to manually fix or delete.

> The more complicated problem is how did that 0-price split get created and why did that become the price for the day instead of one of the others. Would you be willing to post a transaction report of the VND account with Display optiions set to show date, date entered, accounts, shares, and prices  with one line per split? Leave off description, memo, and account to keep confidential what you spent the money on, that's irrelevant here.
> *I'll be happy to do this, but I haven't figured out how to add those columns to the register view.*

Not in the register view, in Transaction report options on the Display page, but in light of your other answers I think that it's not necessary.

Regards,
John Ralls