[GNC] Another try at "How to record payments for several items paid with a single transaction?"

Steve Butler stephen.m.butler51 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 12:14:22 EDT 2023

Enter it just as you described.  You may want to change your view to, I
think it is, Journal Mode.  I would first type in the "line" or "split" to
debit 'cash in pocket' (an asset account) for $3.49.  The next split has
the memo line 'one bar of chocolate' @$0.99.  Note that GnC would have
preloaded a credit of $3.49 which you change to $0.99. You would also type
in the appropriate Expense Account on this split.  Note that I am avoiding
the word 'enter' as you hit the tab key and not the enter key to move to
the next line.

At this point GnC should have the next split showing a credit of $2.50.
Type in the memo 'Two bags of pear drops', pick the appropriate expense
account and change the credit field to $1.50.  Hit tab again.

Now GnC has a split showing the $1.00 credit still left to make the
transaction balance.  Type the memo 'chewing gum' and pick the appropriate
expense account.  This time you don't need to change the credit field.

Check that all four splits are the way you want them.  Now hit that Enter
Key.

I always use Journal view for all my accounts so I always see all the
splits associated with each transaction.  This way I have spotted some
entries to wrong accounts and been able to fix them without changing to the
other account.

-- Steve