[GNC] Construction Billing By Project

Angela Haggerty a.haggerty at keepitbythebook.com
Thu Jul 27 04:43:20 EDT 2023

Firstly, it's past 3 AM and I am arguing with myself on how to enter
construction projects into GNUCash for a bookkeeping LLC client. This may
have been asked before but I did not find it in the search of terms I used.
This may not be the proper place to post feature ideas but again it's 3 AM
and I want this out of my head before I fall asleep and forget. :)

Secondly, the stunning idea that hit me tonight! Currently, GNUCash can
link invoices, payments, and customer-billed liabilities to one another in
lots, but it does not link expenses in this process. I have to go in and
build lots for each job in the cash account they are paid from. If there
was a way to link expenses to the invoices or build on the lot system to
add a column to the register to enter a lot ID or other mechanism to link
expenses to invoices and payments as they are entered it would make billing
for my construction client a LOT easier and more streamlined.

At this time, the client sends job sheets after the project's completion
unless we are close to year-end. And sorting through the job sheet while
switching between expense windows and invoice windows is tedious,
time-consuming, and an accounting disaster waiting to happen. It is also
more difficult to advise the client which tickets and jobs are profitable
if they are not connected in some way in the accounting system. This wasn't
such an issue before but I have noticed growing numbers of clients picking
up side hustles and gig work in this economy so there is more need now for
a project system in GNUCash in my opinion.

Thank You For Reading
A.Haggerty