[GNC] Reversing a finished credit card reconciliation

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 12:00:53 EDT 2023

David T., et alia,

Somewhere in the nether regions of my pea brain I have a recollection of a
'feature' to automatically add an adjustment transaction to bring a
reconciliation into balance without  finding the 'error'.

That was probably in one of the other programs that I used before I started
using Gnucash, but it might be a feature that some GnuCash users might want.

Of course this brings a risk that GnuCash might erroneously reconcile a few
transactions that were correctly unposted by the financial institution,
possibly because they were simply normal 'float' that is not cleared as of
the statement date,  but a savvy user could identify those transactions
during the reconciliation.

I think this idea 'floated' to the surface because at this moment I just
happened to be halfway through reconciling a very troublesome statement
from a credit card company that often fails to post transactions in a
timely manner and commits other fiscal sins that cause normal accountants
to tear their hair out.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 8:54 AM David T. via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Both previous replies were on target-- but, I do wonder how you finished
> the first reconciliation, since GnuCash won't activate the finish button
> until the Difference value is zero. If the transaction was wrong, the
> balance would be non-zero?
>
> ⁣David T. ​
>
> On Jun 25, 2023, 12:26 PM, at 12:26 PM, "Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net>
> wrote:
> >Hi Gregory,
> >
> >welcome to the list and Gnucash.
> >

> >Just ignore that the starting balance is wrong, go through the
> >reconcilliation
> >as normal aiming for the correct ending balance.
> >
> >should sort itself out.
> >HTH,
> >Maf
> >

> >On Thursday, 22 June 2023 01:08:01 BST Gregory Donavon wrote:
> >>  I hope you can help me unwind an error I made after not following
> >one of
> >> the steps in a busybee post video on youtube: I transposed a couple
> >of
> >> numbers on one transaction, this resulted in there being a difference
> >of a
> >> few dollars. Rather than hitting "postpone," I hit "finished" with
> >the plan
> >> of coming back later to figure out the location of the error. When I
> >> changed the transposed entry to the correct amount, that didn't
> >correct the
> >> problem because when I went back in to reconcile , the starting
> >balance was
> >> wrong and I could not change it or bring up the original
> >reconciliation
> >> page. Is there anything I can do - this is my first month using
> >gnucash.
> >> Any suggestions you have for reversing the transactions would be
> >> appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help,
> >> Gregory Donavon

> >Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

David Carlson