[GNC] GnuCash 5.3 autofill headaches

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jun 30 11:31:33 EDT 2023

On 6/30/23 6:04 AM, David H wrote:
> I run Win 10, Win 11, MacOS Monterey, MacOS Ventura and Ubuntu depending on
> where I am at any given time.  While I quite like the latest iteration of
> the automatch for transactions in 5.3 it's a little annoying that it
> doesn't seem to do any matching on the splits within a txn anymore, or did
> I miss setting an option somewhere?
>
> I've just reverted to 5.1 on both MacOS and Windows because I have found it
> more time consuming to manually type the full description on 3 or 4 split
> lines that I've used previously in the same txn type.

If indeed this is the case, that will be a major bummer for me. I put
lots of detail in my Memos and I heavily re-use descriptions for
often-bought items. I just upgraded and am behind on entering receipts,
so I suppose I'm about to find out...

I suspect this feature change will take some time to iron out the kinks.

> I also think that the registers now display a little differently to what
> they used to.  In 5.1 any open registers always scroll all the way to the
> end of the txns when you re-open your GnuCash data file.  In 5.3 they don't
> seem to quite get all the way to the bottom meaning you have to manually
> page down in every register you had open to see all your future txns, which
> in my case is sometimes 15 - 20 as I like to know what's coming up for the
> next 60 days cash flow wise.

I don't use future-dated transactions, but if it doesn't even get to the
last transaction (and ideally the next empty one) that could get quite
annoying.

Regards,
Adrien