[GNC] The custom invoice problem

Roland Giesler roland at giesler.za.net
Sun Mar 5 10:26:43 EST 2023

Hi all,

Since 2016 (and probably before that), there are have been questions
about the lack of reasonably accessible tools for small business users
to create invoices that contain the company logo and a customised layout
for a particular setting.

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-June/065750.html
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2022-January/099232.html

I sure there are many more of these and they have been raised years ago
already.

A software developer of a someone seasoned in the internals of eguile
and css is probably able to hack something together, but an ordinary
user (albeit somewhat technically proficient in css, html and some
scripting languages) has little chance of addressing this issue.

Questions I have are:

1. Do people in other parts of the world not want to send professional
looking invoice to their clients?  Are they even using GNUCash for
invoicing?  This seems like a core feature of GNUCash that is just being
ignored. (2016 is 7 years ago!)

2. The GNUCash roadmap pages <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Roadmap> say
regarding Scheme: /"Scheme is impenetrable to most programmers.
Expecting users to be able to write reports in Scheme is completely
unreasonable."/  This is true, but the general usability of GNUCash
reports must be expanded so that any report can be selected as the
default for a particular feature (like invoicing). /*Surely this is a
core requirement, is it not?*/ If we have the feature to add a menu
option <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports#Adding_Menu_Items>,
then it could be a fairly trivial matter for a developer to add the
functionality to select a saved report (or some customised invoice) as
the default when the "print invoice" button is pressed?

3. Is there some bounty system where one could contribute to speed up
this feature?

I'm a huge FOSS fan and if there is some way in which I could help to
get this implemented, please let me know!

regards

Roland