[GNC] Confusing version numbers

aeg aeg21212-forum at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 03:34:36 EST 2023

 The fact that 9 is less than 12 is not confusing to me, but sorting by Windows File Explorer routinely puts 12 before 9, whereas 09 is always correctly arranged before 12 (and before 900).
>From the link, https://semver.org/ provided by LI Daobing, I now understand that there is a conventional way of numbering software releases, but I remain puzzled by the insistence that leading zeros must not be used.
It is often the case that the status quo can be seen to work, but it is my opinion that, if an improvement can be made and the effort to do so is minimal, it is normally worth making that improvement. I assume that's what drives the developers to make evolutionary changes and introduce updates. I'd just like to see a numbering system that works in all circumstances.
Alan

From: Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net>

For each set of numbers, they run sequentially, without leading zeros.

9 is less than 12. How is that confusing?

It isn't '90' and '12'
It is '9' and '12'.