[GNC] Additional check for out of balance 'Trial Balance' and 'Balance Sheet'

G R Hewitt hewittgr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 18:05:19 EDT 2023

I thought it might be useful to pass on another possible reason for having
an out-of-kilter 'Trial Balance' and 'Balance Sheet'

I spent quite some time in an effort to get mine to balance, they were out
by £3.07 and this amount had steadily grown. I decided I was going to nail
it once and for all and work my may through the General Journal. Quite by
chance I decided to use the cursor keys, rather than scroll with the mouse
wheel - this went at a steady pace checking Credit and Debit were the same.
Then, an error dialogue opened up saying there was a disparity and offered
solutions. I chose 'Manual', but found I couldn't change the errant amount
- even in the register. Note there are small grey squares surrounding the
incorrect entry cells, most useful.
Further investigation found that in the 'Edit Account' panel, the 'Smallest
fraction' was set at '1' on this particular account, and the amount was
being rounded up on one side, causing the mismatch. Setting the 'Smallest
fraction' to 'Use Commodity Value' and running 'Repair All' sorted the
problem.

I hope the above may be a solution for someone and save them time, if not
hair.