[GNC] Site certificate expiry warning

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 13:53:15 EDT 2023

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 at 15:22, <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 11:16:09AM +0000, Michael Hendry wrote:
> > I’ve been promoting GnuCash to incoming Rotary Club Treasurers, and I’ve
> > just been informed that www.gnucash.org is being flagged up as dangerous
> > because its site certificate expired recently.
> >
> How does that make the site 'dangerous'?  All it means is that
> communication between you (i.e. the user) and the site isn't
> encrypted. As you don't need to send or receive any confidential
> information the lack of encryption is wholly irrelevant!
>
> --
> Chris Green

Whilst I don’t disagree with you on a technical level, you need to bear in
mind that browsers are going to warn people, and that will put people off.

There’s a body of opinion that this will impact Google ranking.

I have in the past paid for a fairly expensive EV SSL  certificate, but now
I use

https://letsencrypt.org/

on Debian Linux. The certificates are valid for 90 days, but renewed after
60 days.

Dave.
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom