[GNC] Turn of drop list when entering data in memo/description line

Carsten Hütter Carsten.Huetter at gmx.de
Thu May 4 15:40:14 EDT 2023

Am 02.05.23 um 14:49 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:
> If 4.14 is not available in your distro's repos, you can certainly use
> the flatpak. You should probably remove 5.0 though first.

Sadly, code.gnucash.org/builds/flatpak/maint/ does not list 4.14. The
latest one is 4.13-164 from 2023-03-18. Later build logs tell me:
"error: Writing content object: min-free-space-percent '3%' would be
exceeded, at least 143.4 kB requested". So the latest maint branch
versions are missing, including 4.14. But I'm fine with 4.13-164 as a
fallback.

As long as you enter the "--branch=" option with the "flatpak run"
command, many different gnucash flatpak versions can reside beside each
other on your system happily and can be separately started. This is what
I have done after the publishing of GnuCash 5.0.

> [...]
>
> On 4/29/23 5:14 AM, Trevor Dempsey via gnucash-user wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I just upgraded to version 5.0 and I would like to know how to turn
>> OFF the drop list when entering a description in the memo line.
>>
>> I can only enter 3 letters before it seizes up and I must cancel my
>> entry to continue. To enter new data into this memo line, I must
>> first write it in a text file and then copy/paste it onto the line.

In fact there is an option "Auto-raise lists" in the register
preferences. But at least in my current 5.0-159 build switching off does
not change the behavior of the description drop down list. Allowing to
switch it off could be an improvement in your case.

But I cannot completely follow the issue. In my case (flatpak GnuCash
5.0-159 on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS), the drop down list does not prevent me
from entering some more text. And as soon as the entered text is found
in less descriptions, the list shrinks, until it disappears completely
(i. e. when it's a complete new description).

> [...]

Regards

Carsten