[GNC] Yahoo JSON - throwing unauthorized error

Bruce Schuck bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Sat May 6 15:43:19 EDT 2023

On 5/6/23 17:51, David G. Pickett wrote:

> Yeah, it's back.??
 >     - Is Yahoo aware of their server rejects???
>     - Is there some magic cookie or such we need to be authorized??
 >       Many previous fixes proposed, which did not seem to prevent
 >       its return!

I don't believe the APIs F::Q uses in the YahooJSON.pm module are meant
for general public use. Yes, they are calls made when finance.yahoo.com
web pages load, but I'm thinking that Yahoo is trying to use CORs
filters, cookies, and other mechanisms to limit access.

Who's to say that after spending time to change the module to utilize a
different URL, it also doesn't start returning errors because Yahoo is
securing how people can fetch the securities data.

Companies pay big $$ for realtime access to the securities data, and
with that comes licensing and limitations on how it can be shared,
resold, etc. That is why you see many companies use API keys, and the
freely available keys have limited access. Years ago (late 1980s, early
1990s) I worked for a company that paid for a satellite feed from
Comstock I believe. It was data for our services provided to a few
securities and financial services companies. It was my project to write
the collection and parsing programs on Unix/Linux when we first
purchased that feed.

- Bruce S.