[GNC] GNC "CLASS" equivalent to QB

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:44:46 EDT 2023

Sure, GnuCash will do that as tags, but it's different.

See https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-May/107072.html
and https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-May/107073.html
for details. QuickBooks only allows one class but you can have multiple
tags in Gnucash.

There is no need to import old data but it is handy for reporting. Let us
know how you handle classes if you do. I use QuickBooks reporting and
GnuCash gives you much better access to the data, especially with csv and
the Multi-Split variant.

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-May/107048.html
> ...users can start using it (if they wish) and provide feedback.

Don't expect much feedback on tag reporting:
1. the implementation is very complete, though limited to transactions
2. existing GnuCash users have self-selected as not needing it

Feedback:
> If the P&L can have this [tag grouping] or the regular filter feature
added...

Suggesting filtering as an alternative to tag grouping is like offering a
wheelbarrow without a wheel.

Regards